About Me

My photo
Carmarthen, West Wales, United Kingdom
All images Copyright of Penelope Davies.

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Intervals of Heavy Showers .... and Umbrellas


I think I'm getting a bit carried away photographing people in the street when I'm invigilating at the West End Gallery. Today there was, at times, torrential rain, and that was my cue to photograph as many people with umbrellas as I could. I stood in the Gallery doorway waiting for people with umbrellas, but I also couldn't resist photographing people, who didn't have an umbrella, scurrying along the street trying to get out of the rain. It was great fun!

I'm enjoying my role at the Gallery ,and I guess I should start conceptualising why I like photographing people walking by. Most people have a purposeful gait, and most look as though they have a definite destination. There are those of course, who saunter along, chatting to partners, families or friends, but on the whole people are solitary and have something to do, or somewhere to go. Personally when I am in the city centre, I notice very little around me as I am too busy thinking about the reason I am there.
A few happy hours passed, watching people pass by, chatting to those who looked inclined to come in and find out about our project, and some volunteering to be photographed and others' taking a little persuasion to be photographed.

No comments:

Post a Comment