About Me

My photo
Carmarthen, West Wales, United Kingdom
All images Copyright of Penelope Davies.

Saturday 25 February 2012

Exhibition Preparations

It has been an incredibly busy week making preparations for the Exhibition next week. Organising the Preview Evening has been quite stressful, with heated discussions and some discontent amongst the group. However, this is only to be expected as it is the first collaborative exhibition any of us have undertaken. By the end of the week, all disputes had been resolved, and calm was restored with us all pulling together once again. We met on Friday to create a mock up of the frames in the order they will hang on the wall at Sprouts. Photographs of the mock up were shot.  These will be our guide on March 1st when all the frames and prints will be hung in situ.

We are creating folders to include an artist statement, a portrait and thumbnails of the images we are each exhibiting We will also include Business Cards in the folders to give to our guests.

The following is my artist statement and my chosen images.

“The landscape thinks itself in me, and I am its consciousness”
Paul Cezanne (1839 –1894)
The camera plays an integral role in my art. It has become a part of me that records the life I see around me, in the city, in landscape of both the interior and the exterior, where beauty is timeless. The camera demystifies my thoughts and emotions, capturing a scene intuitively, that later discloses its meaning to me, of memory, of being, and of the fragility of life itself. The landscape is the music of my eyes, the rhythm of life I see before me that never fails to capture my imagination.
“We are never real historians, but always near poets, and our emotion is perhaps nothing but an expression of a poetry that was lost”

“The Poetics of Space” (1958) Gaston Bachelard (1884 – 1962)

Barbed Wire

Blue Clock at Cremyll

Capt'n Jaspers et al 

Frozen Lake

Music in the Air 

Nula Playing Harp 

Faith and Emotion 

Pink and Blue 

Sprouts Lunch 


This morning I visited Sprouts for a cup of tea and delivered one of our Posters; I also wanted to take an Invitation to the Charity Shop close to Sprouts that is staffed by students from Plymouth University. Garry (the owner of Sprouts) had asked them to coincide their first late night opening with our Preview Evening which may bring more people to our event.

Steph and I had had lunch at Sprouts on Thursday; we had briefly discussed a few things with Garry about the arrangements for the Opening of the Exhibition. He had suggested that we invite Martin Bush who has an Art Gallery at Royal William Yard. We walked to his exhibition and delivered an invitation. We also spoke to Garry about whether we should pay for a buffet of some kind, but he preferred that we only supply the drinks. As it is a Restaurant, I can understand his point of view, and if people want to eat they will be welcomed to sit down for meals.

When we left the Restaurant, both Steph and I felt elated, excited and just a little nervous. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment